ENGROSSED HOUSE BILL NO. 2716
AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE
C 217 L 90
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1990 Regular Session
By Representatives Crane and S. Wilson
Read first time 1/19/90 and referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to codefendants in cases of vehicle weight restrictions; and amending RCW 46.44.105.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. Section 23, chapter 64, Laws of 1975-'76 2nd ex. sess. as last amended by section 6, chapter 351, Laws of 1985 and RCW 46.44.105 are each amended to read as follows:
Violation of any of the provisions of RCW 46.44.041, 46.44.042,
46.44.047, 46.44.090, 46.44.091, and 46.44.095, ((
or failure to obtain a permit as provided by RCW 46.44.090 and 46.44.095, or
misrepresentation of the size or weight of any load or failure to follow the
requirements and conditions of a permit issued hereunder is a traffic
infraction, and upon the first finding thereof shall be assessed a basic
penalty of not less than fifty dollars; and upon a second finding thereof shall
be assessed a basic penalty of not less than seventy-five dollars; and upon a
third or subsequent finding shall be assessed a basic penalty of not less than
one hundred dollars.
addition to the penalties imposed in subsection (1) of this section, any person
violating RCW 46.44.041, 46.44.042, 46.44.047, 46.44.090, 46.44.091, or
, or 46.44.041)) shall be assessed three cents for each pound
of excess weight. Upon a first violation in any calendar year, the court may
suspend the penalty for five hundred pounds of excess weight for each axle on
any vehicle or combination of vehicles, not to exceed a two thousand pound
suspension. In no case may the basic penalty assessed in subsection (1) of
this section be suspended.
Whenever any vehicle or combination of vehicles is involved in two violations
of RCW 46.44.041, 46.44.042, 46.44.047, 46.44.090, 46.44.091, or 46.44.095((
or 46.44.041)) during any twelve-month period, the court may suspend the
certificate of license registration of the vehicle or combination of vehicles
for not less than thirty days. Upon a third or succeeding violation in any
twelve-month period, the court shall suspend the certificate of license
registration for not less than thirty days. Whenever the certificate of
license registration is suspended, the court shall secure such certificate and
immediately forward the same to the director with information concerning the
(4) Any person found to have violated any posted limitations of a highway or section of highway shall be assessed a monetary penalty of not less than one hundred and fifty dollars, and the court shall in addition thereto upon second violation within a twelve-month period involving the same power unit, suspend the certificate of license registration for not less than thirty days.
(5) Any police officer is authorized to require the driver of any vehicle or combination of vehicles to stop and submit to a weighing either by means of a portable or stationary scale and may require that the vehicle be driven to the nearest public scale. Whenever a police officer, upon weighing a vehicle and load, determines that the weight is unlawful, the officer may require the driver to stop the vehicle in a suitable location and remain standing until such portion of the load is removed as may be necessary to reduce the gross weight of the vehicle to the limit permitted by law.
Any vehicle whose driver or owner represents that the vehicle is disabled or otherwise unable to proceed to a weighing location shall have its load sealed or otherwise marked by any police officer. The owner or driver shall be directed that upon completion of repairs, the vehicle shall submit to weighing with the load and markings and/or seal intact and undisturbed. Failure to report for weighing, appearing for weighing with the seal broken or the markings disturbed, or removal of any cargo prior to weighing is unlawful. Any person so convicted shall be fined five hundred dollars, and in addition the certificate of license registration shall be suspended for not less than thirty days.
(6) Any other provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, district courts having venue have concurrent jurisdiction with the superior courts for the imposition of any penalties authorized under this section.
(7) For the
purpose of determining additional penalties as provided by subsection (2) of
this section, "excess weight" means the poundage in excess of the
maximum gross weight prescribed by RCW 46.44.041 and 46.44.042 ((
46.44.041)) plus the weights allowed by RCW 46.44.047, 46.44.091, and
(8) The penalties provided in subsections (1) and (2) of this section shall be remitted as provided in chapter 3.62 RCW or RCW 10.82.070. For the purpose of computing the basic penalties and additional penalties to be imposed under the provisions of subsections (1) and (2) of this section the convictions shall be on the same vehicle or combination of vehicles within a twelve-month period under the same ownership.
(9) Any state patrol officer or any weight control officer who finds any person operating a vehicle or a combination of vehicles in violation of the conditions of a permit issued under RCW 46.44.047, 46.44.090, and 46.44.095 may confiscate the permit and forward it to the state department of transportation which may return it to the permittee or revoke, cancel, or suspend it without refund. The department of transportation shall keep a record of all action taken upon permits so confiscated, and if a permit is returned to the permittee the action taken by the department of transportation shall be endorsed thereon. Any permittee whose permit is suspended or revoked may upon request receive a hearing before the department of transportation or person designated by that department. After the hearing the department of transportation may reinstate any permit or revise its previous action.
Every permit issued as provided for in this chapter shall be carried in the vehicle or combination of vehicles to which it refers and shall be open to inspection by any law enforcement officer or authorized agent of any authority granting such a permit.
Upon the third finding within a calendar year of a violation of the requirements and conditions of a permit issued under RCW 46.44.095 as now or hereafter amended, the permit shall be canceled, and the canceled permit shall be immediately transmitted by the court or the arresting officer to the department of transportation. The vehicle covered by the canceled permit is not eligible for a new permit for a period of thirty days.
(10) For the purposes of determining gross weights the actual scale weight taken by the arresting officer is prima facie evidence of the total gross weight.
(11) It is a traffic infraction to direct the loading of a vehicle with knowledge that it violates the requirements in RCW 46.44.041, 46.44.042, 46.44.047, 46.44.090, 46.44.091, or 46.44.095 and that it is to be operated on the public highways of this state.
(12) The chief of the state patrol, with the advice of the department, may adopt reasonable rules to aid in the enforcement of this section.