SENATE BILL NO. 5137
C 116 L 89
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1989 Regular Session
By Senators Johnson, Rasmussen, Smitherman, Nelson, von Reichbauer, Saling, Niemi, Moore, Hayner, Vognild, Warnke and Lee; by request of Joint Committee on Pension Policy
Read first time 1/16/89 and referred to Committee on Ways & Means.
AN ACT Relating to portability of pension benefits for school nurses; adding new sections to chapter 41.32 RCW; and declaring an emergency.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. The provisions of sections 2 and 3 of this act shall apply only to a member who:
(1) Is employed as a school nurse after the effective date of this act;
(2) Has previously held a position with a public health department in the city of Seattle, Spokane, or Tacoma; and
(3) Has received credit in the Seattle, Spokane, or Tacoma city employee retirement system for his or her service.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. (1) A member who fulfills the requirements of section 1 of this act shall have the option of transferring his or her service credit in the Seattle, Spokane, or Tacoma city employee retirement system to the Washington state teachers' retirement system.
(2) A member who fulfills the requirements of section 1 of this act and has withdrawn contributions from the Seattle, Spokane, or Tacoma city employee retirement system may restore the contributions, together with interest since the date of withdrawal as determined by the system, and recover the service represented by the contributions. Restoration must be completed by December 31, 1990.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. (1) In order to make a transfer authorized by section 2 of this act, the member must file a written declaration no later that December 31, 1990, with both the department and the city employee retirement system indicating the member's desire to make an irrevocable transfer of credit.
(2) Upon receipt of the written declaration the city employee retirement system shall send the department a report of the member's service credit. It shall also transfer to the department an amount equal to employer and member contributions, plus interest. The city employee retirement system shall send the service credit report and transfer of contributions within ninety days of receiving the member's written declaration.
(3) A member who transfers service credit under this section is eligible to receive service credit for all periods of employment with the public health department. If credit was not given to a member under the member's city retirement system for a period of employment for which credit would have been granted under this chapter, the member may obtain credit for those periods if he or she makes the employer and member contributions for such service, plus interest as determined by the department, no later than December 31, 1990.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. Sections 1 through 3 of this act are each added to chapter 41.32 RCW.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 5. This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and shall take effect immediately.