SENATE BILL NO. 6012
AS AMENDED BY THE HOUSE
C 086 L 89 PV
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1989 Regular Session
By Senator Lee
Read first time 2/22/89 and referred to Committee on Education.
AN ACT Relating to the leasing of surplus school property; and amending RCW 28A.58.033 and 28A.58.035.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. Section 2, chapter 115, Laws of 1980 as amended by section 2, chapter 306, Laws of 1981 and RCW 28A.58.033 are each amended to read as follows:
school district board of directors is authorized to permit the rental, lease,
or occasional use of all or any portion of any surplus real property owned or
lawfully held by the district to any person, corporation, or government entity
for profit or nonprofit, commercial or noncommercial purposes: PROVIDED, That
the leasing or renting or use of such property is for a lawful purpose, is in
the best interest of the district, and does not interfere with conduct of the
district's educational program and related activities((
: PROVIDED FURTHER,
That the lease or rental agreement entered into shall include provisions which
permit the recapture of the leased or rented surplus property of the district
should such property be needed for school purposes in the future)).
(2) Authorization to rent, lease or permit the occasional use of surplus school property under this section, RCW 28A.58.034 and 28A.58.040, each as now or hereafter amended, is conditioned on the establishment by each school district board of directors of a policy governing the use of surplus school property.
(3) The board of directors of any school district desiring to rent or lease any surplus real property owned by the school district shall send written notice to the office of the state superintendent of public instruction. School districts shall not rent or lease the property for at least forty-five days following the date notification is mailed to the state superintendent of public instruction.
(4) Private schools shall have the same rights as any other person or entity to submit bids for the rental or lease of surplus real property and to have such bids considered along with all other bids: PROVIDED, That the school board may establish reasonable conditions for the use of such real property to assure the safe and proper operation of the property in a manner consistent with board policies.
Sec. 2. Section 4, chapter 115, Laws of 1980 as last amended by section 15, chapter 59, Laws of 1983 and RCW 28A.58.035 are each amended to read as follows:
Each school district's board of directors shall deposit moneys derived from the lease, rental or occasional use of surplus school property as follows:
(1) Moneys derived from real property shall be deposited into the district's debt service fund and/or capital projects fund except for moneys required to be expended for general maintenance, utility, insurance costs, and any other costs associated with the lease or rental of such property, which moneys shall be deposited in the district's general fund;
(2) Moneys derived from pupil transportation vehicles shall be deposited in the district's transportation vehicle fund;
(3) Moneys derived from other personal property shall be deposited in the district's general fund.