(1) Any adult or juvenile residing, whether or not the person has a fixed residence, in this state who has been required by a court to comply with the registration requirements of this section shall personally register with the county sheriff for the county of the person's residence.
(2) A person required to register under this section must provide the following information when registering:
(a) Name and any aliases used;
(b) Complete and accurate residence address or, if the person lacks a fixed residence, where he or she plans to stay;
(c) Identifying information of the gun offender, including a physical description;
(d) The offense for which the person was convicted;
(e) Date and place of conviction; and
(f) The names of any other county where the offender has registered pursuant to this section.
(3) The county sheriff may require the offender to provide documentation that verifies the contents of his or her registration.
(4) The county sheriff may take the offender's photograph or fingerprints for the inclusion of such record in the registration.
(5) Felony firearm offenders shall register with the county sheriff not later than forty-eight hours after:
(a) The date of release from custody, as a result of the felony firearm offense, of the state department of corrections, the state department of social and health services, a local division of youth services, or a local jail or juvenile detention facility; or
(b) The date the court imposes the felony firearm offender's sentence, if the offender receives a sentence that does not include confinement.
(6)(a) Except as described in (b) of this subsection, the felony firearm offender shall register with the county sheriff not later than twenty days after each twelve-month anniversary of the date the offender is first required to register, as described in subsection (5) of this section.
(b) If the felony firearm offender is confined to any correctional institution, state institution or facility, or health care facility throughout the twenty-day period described in (a) of this subsection, the offender shall personally appear before the county sheriff not later than forty-eight hours after release to verify and update, as appropriate, his or her registration.
(7) If the felony firearm offender changes his or her residence address and his or her new residence address is within this state, the offender shall personally register with the county sheriff for the county of the person's residence not later than forty-eight hours after the change of address. If the offender's residence address is within the same county as the offender's immediately preceding address, the offender shall update the contents of his or her current registration.
(8) The duty to register shall continue for a period of four years from the date the offender is first required to register, as described in subsection (5) of this section.