Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Board" means the Washington state board of denturists.
(2) "Denture" means a removable full or partial upper or lower dental appliance to be worn in the mouth to replace missing natural teeth.
(3) "Denturist" means a person licensed under this chapter to engage in the practice of denturism.
(4) "Department" means the department of health.
(5) "Practice of denturism" means:
(a) Making, placing, constructing, altering, reproducing, or repairing a denture;
(b) Taking impressions and furnishing or supplying a denture directly to a person or advising the use of a denture, and maintaining a facility for the same;
(c) Making, placing, constructing, altering, reproducing, or repairing the following nonorthodontic removable oral devices, excluding devices intended to treat obstructive sleep apnea or to treat temporomandibular joint dysfunction, where accompanied by written encouragement to have regular dental checkups with a licensed dentist:
(i) Bruxism devices;
(ii) Sports mouth guards;
(iii) Removable cosmetic appliances, regardless of whether the patient is missing teeth; and
(iv) Snoring devices, only after a physician has ruled out snoring associated with sleep breathing disorders, including obstructive sleep apnea; and
(d) Providing teeth whitening services, including fabricating whitening trays, providing whitening solutions determined to be safe for public use, and providing required follow-up care and instructions for use of the trays and solutions at home.
(6) "Secretary" means the secretary of health or the secretary's designee.