Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Access area" means a paved walkway or sidewalk that is within fifty feet of an automated teller machine or night deposit facility. "Access area" does not include publicly maintained sidewalks or roads.
(2) "Access device" means:
(a) "Access device" as defined in federal reserve board Regulation E, 12 C.F.R. Part 205, promulgated under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act, 15 U.S.C. Sec. 1601, et seq.; or
(b) A key or other mechanism issued by a banking institution to its customer to give the customer access to the banking institution's night deposit facility.
(3) "Automated teller machine" means an electronic information processing device located in this state that accepts or dispenses cash in connection with a credit, deposit, or convenience account. "Automated teller machine" does not include a device used primarily to facilitate check guarantees or check authorizations, used in connection with the acceptance or dispensing of cash on a person-to-person basis such as by a store cashier, or used for payment of goods and services.
(4) "Banking institution" means a state or federally chartered bank, trust company, savings bank, savings and loan association, and credit union.
(5) "Candle-foot power" means a light intensity of candles on a horizontal plane at thirty-six inches above ground level and five feet in front of the area to be measured.
(6) "Control of an access area or defined parking area" means to have the present authority to determine how, when, and by whom it is to be used, and how it is to be maintained, lighted, and landscaped.
(7) "Defined parking area" means that portion of a parking area open for customer parking that is:
(a) Contiguous to an access area with respect to an automated teller machine or night deposit facility;
(b) Regularly, principally, and lawfully used for parking by users of the automated teller machine or night deposit facility while conducting transactions during hours of darkness; and
(c) Owned or leased by the operator of the automated teller machine or night deposit facility or owned or controlled by the party leasing the automated teller machine or night deposit facility site to the operator. "Defined parking area" does not include a parking area that is not open or regularly used for parking by users of the automated teller machine or night deposit facility who are conducting transactions during hours of darkness. A parking area is not open if it is physically closed to access or if conspicuous signs indicate that it is closed. If a multiple level parking area satisfies the conditions of this subsection (7)(c) and would therefore otherwise be a defined parking area, only the single parking level deemed by the operator of the automated teller machine and night deposit facility to be the most directly accessible to the users of the automated teller machine and night deposit facility is a defined parking area.
(8) "Hours of darkness" means the period that commences thirty minutes after sunset and ends thirty minutes before sunrise.
(9) "Night deposit facility" means a receptacle that is provided by a banking institution for the use of its customers in delivering cash, checks, and other items to the banking institution.
(10) "Operator" means a banking institution or other business entity or a person who operates an automated teller machine or night deposit facility.