The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Appropriate course delivery standards" means the classroom and behind-the-wheel student learning experiences considered acceptable to the superintendent of public instruction under RCW 28A.220.030
that must be satisfactorily accomplished by the student in order to successfully complete the driver training education course.
(2) "Approved private school" means a private school approved by the board of education under chapter 28A.195
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of licensing.
(4) "Driver training education course" means a course of instruction in traffic safety education (a) offered as part of a traffic safety education program authorized by the superintendent of public instruction and certified by the department of licensing and (b) taught by a qualified teacher of driver training education that consists of classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction using curriculum that meets joint superintendent of public instruction and department of licensing standards and the course requirements established by the superintendent of public instruction under RCW 28A.220.030
. Behind-the-wheel instruction is characterized by driving experience.
(5) "Qualified teacher of driver training education" means an instructor who:
(a) Is certificated under chapter 28A.410
RCW and has obtained a traffic safety endorsement or a letter of approval to teach traffic safety education from the superintendent of public instruction or is certificated by the superintendent of public instruction to teach a driver training education course; or
(b) Is an instructor provided by a driver training school that has contracted with a school district's or districts' board of directors under RCW 28A.220.030
(3) to teach driver education for the school district.
(6) "Superintendent" or "state superintendent" means the superintendent of public instruction.
(7) "Traffic safety education program" means the administration and provision of driver training education courses offered by secondary schools of a school district or vocational-technical schools that are conducted by such schools in a like manner to their other regular courses.