(1) Subject to the availability of amounts appropriated for this specific purpose, the office of the superintendent of public instruction and the school safety and student well-being advisory committee shall hold annual school safety summits. Each annual summit must focus on establishing and monitoring the progress of a statewide plan for funding cost-effective methods for school safety that meet local needs. Other areas of focus may include planning and implementation of school safety planning efforts, training of school safety professionals, and integrating mental health and security measures.
(2) Summit participants must be appointed no later than August 1, 2016.
(a) The president of the senate shall appoint two members from each of the two largest caucuses of the senate.
(b) The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint two members from each of the two largest caucuses of the house of representatives.
(c) The governor shall appoint one representative.
(3) Other summit participants may include representatives from the office of the superintendent of public instruction, the department of health, educational service districts, educational associations, emergency management, law enforcement, fire departments, parent organizations, and student organizations.
(4) Staff support for the annual summit shall be provided by the office of the superintendent of public instruction.
(5) Legislative members of the summit are reimbursed for travel expenses in accordance with RCW 44.04.120
. Nonlegislative members are not entitled to be reimbursed for travel expenses if they are elected officials or are participating on behalf of an employer, governmental entity, or other organization. Any reimbursement for other nonlegislative members is subject to chapter 43.03