The following terms when used in this chapter shall have the following meanings, unless where used the context thereof shall clearly indicate to the contrary:
(1) "Revenue" means an addition to assets of a fund of a school district during a fiscal period that is available to finance the fund's expenditures during the fiscal period. Revenue does not accompany the increase of liabilities or represent refunds of previous disbursements. Revenue may be in the form of cash or in the form of noncash assets such as donated commodities. Revenue for accrual basis expenditure funds is limited to amounts received in cash or noncash donations plus or minus adjustments for revenue accruals.
(2) "Accrual basis expenditures" mean expenditures incurred during a given fiscal period, whether paid or unpaid.
(3) "Cash basis expenditures" mean actual disbursements during a given fiscal period except for debt service, regardless of when liabilities are incurred, or the period of incurrence of expenditures.
(4) "Cash basis revenue" means actual receipt of revenue not adjusted for revenue accruals.
(5) "Revenue accruals" means those revenues anticipated to be received in cash after the close of the fiscal period that represent reimbursement for expenditures incurred by the end of the fiscal period.
(6) "Appropriation" means the maximum authorization during a given fiscal period to incur expenditures.
(7) "Disbursements" mean payments in cash, including but not limited to issuance of warrants.
Severability—1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 118: "If any provision of this 1976 amendatory act, or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act, or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 118 § 37.]