The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Applicant" means a nonprofit corporation that has submitted an application to an authorizer. The nonprofit corporation must be either a public benefit nonprofit corporation as defined in RCW 24.03.490
, or a nonprofit corporation as defined in RCW 24.03.005
that has applied for tax exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. Sec. 501(c)(3)). The nonprofit corporation may not be a sectarian or religious organization and must meet all of the requirements for a public benefit nonprofit corporation before receiving any funding under RCW 28A.710.220
(2) "At-risk student" means a student who has an academic or economic disadvantage that requires assistance or special services to succeed in educational programs. The term includes, but is not limited to, students who do not meet minimum standards of academic proficiency, students who are at risk of dropping out of high school, students in chronically low-performing schools, students with higher than average disciplinary sanctions, students with lower participation rates in advanced or gifted programs, students who are limited in English proficiency, students who are members of economically disadvantaged families, and students who are identified as having special educational needs.
(3) "Authorizer" means the commission established in RCW 28A.710.070
or a school district approved under RCW 28A.710.090
to review, approve, or reject charter school applications; enter into, renew, or revoke charter contracts with applicants; and oversee the charter schools the entity has authorized.
(4) "Charter contract" means a fixed term, renewable contract between a charter school and an authorizer that outlines the roles, powers, responsibilities, and performance expectations for each party to the contract.
(5) "Charter school" or "charter public school" means a public school that is established in accordance with this chapter, governed by a charter school board, and operated according to the terms of a charter contract executed under this chapter.
(6) "Charter school board" means the board of directors appointed or selected under the terms of a charter application to manage and operate the charter school.
(7) "Commission" means the Washington state charter school commission established in RCW 28A.710.070
(8) "Parent" means a parent, guardian, or other person or entity having legal custody of a child.
(9) "Student" means a child eligible to attend a public school in the state.