(1) The governance of Washington State University shall be vested in a board of regents to consist of ten members one of whom shall be a student. The governor shall select the student member from a list of candidates, of at least three and not more than five, submitted by the governing body of the associated students. They shall be appointed by the governor, by and with the consent of the senate and, except for the student member, shall hold their offices for a term of six years from the first day of October and until their successors are appointed and qualified. The student member shall hold his or her office for a term of one year from the first day of July until the first day of July of the following year or until his or her successor is appointed and qualified, whichever is later. The student member shall be a full-time student in good standing at the university at the time of appointment.
(2) Six members of said board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. In the case of a vacancy or when an appointment is made after the date of the expiration of a term, the governor shall fill the vacancy for the remainder of the term of the regent whose office has become vacant or expired.
(3) Except for the term of the student member, no more than the terms of two members will expire simultaneously on the last day of September in any one year.
(4) Each regent shall, before entering upon the discharge of his respective duties as such, execute a good and sufficient bond to the state of Washington, with two or more sufficient sureties, residents of the state, or with a surety company licensed to do business within the state, in the penal sum of not less than five thousand dollars, conditioned for the faithful performance of his duties as such regent: PROVIDED, That the university shall pay any fees incurred for any such bonds for their board members.
(5) A student appointed under this section shall excuse himself or herself from participation or voting on matters relating to the hiring, discipline, or tenure of faculty members and personnel.