Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Approved branch campus" means a foreign degree-granting institution's branch campus that has been approved by the student achievement council to operate in the state.
(2) "Branch campus" means an educational facility located in the state that:
(a) Is either owned and operated directly by a foreign degree-granting institution or indirectly through a Washington profit or nonprofit corporation in which the foreign degree-granting institution is the sole or controlling shareholder or member; and
(b) Provides courses solely and exclusively to students enrolled in a degree-granting program offered by the foreign degree-granting institution who:
(i) Have received academic credit for courses of study completed at the foreign degree-granting institution in its country of domicile;
(ii) Will receive academic credit towards their degree from the foreign degree-granting institution for the courses of study completed at the educational facility in the state; and
(iii) Will return to the foreign degree-granting institution in its country of domicile for completion of their degree-granting program or receipt of their degree.
(3) "Council" means the student achievement council.
(4) "Degree" means any designation, appellation, certificate, letters or words including, but not limited to, "associate," "bachelor," "masters," "doctorate," or "fellow" that signifies, or purports to signify, satisfactory and successful completion of requirements of a postsecondary academic program of study.
(5) "Foreign degree-granting institution" means a public or private college or university, either profit or nonprofit:
(a) That is domiciled in a foreign country;
(b) That offers in its country of domicile credentials, instruction, or services prerequisite to the obtaining of an academic or professional degree granted by such college or university; and
(c) That is authorized under the laws or regulations of its country of domicile to operate a degree-granting institution in that country.