Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Approved education program" means an education program in a common school as defined in RCW 28A.150.020
(2) "Certificate" or "certificated" does not include a limited or conditioned certificate.
(3) "Certificated employee" has the definition in RCW 28A.150.203
. "Certificated employee" does not include a paraeducator.
(4) "Conditional scholarship" means a loan that is forgiven in whole or in part in exchange for service as a certificated employee in an approved education program.
(5) "Eligible veteran or national guard member" means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the United States military or naval forces, or a national guard member called to active duty, who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.
(6) "Forgiven" or "to forgive" or "forgiveness" means that all or part of a loan is canceled in exchange for service as a certificated employee in an approved education program.
(7) "Institution of higher education" or "institution" means a college or university in the state of Washington that is accredited by an accrediting association recognized as such by rule of the student achievement council.
(8) "Loan repayment" means a federal student loan that is repaid in whole or in part if the borrower serves as a certificated employee in an approved education program.
(9) "Office" means the office of student financial assistance.
(10) "Participant" means a person who has received a conditional scholarship or loan repayment under this chapter.
(11) "Public school" has the same meaning as in RCW 28A.150.010
(12) "Shortage area" means an endorsement or geographic area as defined by the Washington professional educator standards board, in consultation with the office of the superintendent of public instruction, with a shortage of certificated employees. "Shortage area" must be defined biennially using quantitative and qualitative measures.