Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this section and RCW 28B.103.020
(1) "Eligible student" means a member of the Washington national guard who attends an institution of higher education that is located in this state and accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, or an institution that is located in this state that provides approved training under the Montgomery GI Bill, and who meets any additional selection criteria adopted by the office and all of the following participation requirements:
(a) Has not achieved a baccalaureate or higher degree from any postsecondary institution;
(b) Is an active drilling member in good standing in the Washington national guard as specified in rules adopted by the office for implementation of the Washington national guard postsecondary education grant;
(c) Has completed and submitted an application for student aid approved by the office;
(d) Is a resident student as defined in RCW 28B.15.012
(e) Agrees to fulfill his or her service obligation.
(2) "Forgiven" or "to forgive" or "forgiveness" means either to render service in the Washington national guard in lieu of monetary repayment, or to be relieved of the service obligation under rules adopted by the office.
(3) "Grant" means the Washington national guard postsecondary education grant as established in RCW 28B.103.020
(4) "Office" means the office of student financial assistance created in RCW 28B.76.090
(5) "Participant" means an eligible student who has received a Washington national guard postsecondary education grant under this chapter.
(6) "Service obligation" means serving in the Washington national guard for a time period of at least one year of service in the Washington national guard for each year the student receives a Washington national guard postsecondary education grant.