(1) A licensed mortgage loan originator must complete a minimum of eight hours of continuing education approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system *and registry which must include at least three hours of federal law and regulations; two hours of ethics, which must include instruction on fraud, consumer protection, and fair lending issues; and two hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace. Additionally, the director may require at least one hour of continuing education on Washington law provided by and administered through an approved provider.
(2) The nationwide mortgage licensing system *and registry must review and approve continuing education courses. Review and approval of a continuing education course must include review and approval of the course provider.
(3) A licensed mortgage loan originator may only receive credit for a continuing education course in the year in which the course is taken, and may not take the same approved course in the same or successive years to meet the annual requirements for continuing education.
(4) A licensed mortgage loan originator who is an instructor of an approved continuing education course may receive credit for the licensed mortgage loan originator's own annual continuing education requirement at the rate of two hours credit for every one hour taught.
(5) A person having successfully completed the education requirements approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system *and registry for any state must have their credits accepted as credit towards completion of continuing education requirements in this state.
(6) This section does not preclude any education course, as approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system *and registry, that is provided by the employer of the mortgage loan originator or an entity which is affiliated with the mortgage loan originator by an agency contract, or any subsidiary or affiliate of such employer or entity. Continuing education may be offered either in a classroom, online, or by any other means approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system *and registry.