In order to construct, operate and maintain the single steam power electric generating plant provided for in RCW 43.21A.610
the director shall have authority:
(1) To generate, produce, transmit, deliver, exchange, purchase or sell electric energy and to enter into contracts for any or all such purposes.
(2) To construct, condemn, purchase, lease, acquire, add to, extend, maintain, improve, operate, develop and regulate such steam electric power plant, work and facilities for the generation and/or transmission of electric energy and to take, condemn, purchase, lease and acquire any real or personal, public or private property, franchise and property rights, including but not limited to state, county and school lands and properties, for any of the purposes herein set forth and for any facilities or works necessary or convenient for use in the construction, maintenance or operation of such work, plant and facilities; providing that the director shall not be authorized to acquire by condemnation any plant, work and facility owned and operated by any city or district, or by a privately owned public utility.
(3) To apply to the appropriate agencies of the state of Washington, the United States or any state thereof, or to any other proper agency for such permits, licenses or approvals as may be necessary, and to construct, maintain and operate facilities in accordance with such licenses or permits, and to obtain, hold and use such licenses and permits in the same manner as any other person or operating unit.
(4) To establish rates for electric energy sold or transmitted by the director. When any revenue bonds or warrants are outstanding the director shall have the power and shall be required to establish and maintain and collect rates or charges for electric energy furnished or supplied by the director which shall be fair and nondiscriminatory and adequate to provide revenues sufficient for the payment of the principal and interest on such bonds or warrants and all payments which the director is obligated to set aside in any special fund or funds created for such purposes, and for the proper operation and maintenance of the public utility owned by the director and all necessary repairs, replacements and renewals thereof.
(5) To employ legal, engineering and other professional services and fix the compensation of a managing director and such other employees as the director may deem necessary to carry on its business, and to delegate to such manager or other employees such authority as the director shall determine. Such manager and employees shall be appointed for an indefinite time and be removable at the will of the director.