(1) There is created in the department a veterans innovations program. The purpose of the veterans innovations program is to provide crisis and emergency relief and education, training, and employment assistance to veterans and their families in their communities.
(2) Subject to the availability of amounts appropriated for the specific purposes provided in this section, the department must:
(a) Establish a process to make veterans and those still serving in the national guard or armed forces reserve aware of the veterans innovations program;
(b) Develop partnerships to assist veterans, national guard, or reservists in completing the veterans innovations program application; and
(c) Provide funding to support eligible veterans, national guard members, or armed forces reserves for:
(i) Crisis and emergency relief; and
(ii) Education, training, and employment assistance.
Findings—2006 c 343: "The legislature finds that:
(1) A significant number of Washington citizens answered the call to serve our country in recent military action leaving behind families, community, employment, and education;
(2) Many soldiers returning to their families and communities face transition problems in areas such as family reunification, employment, education, and health;
(3) While the Washington state department of veterans affairs has provided services to many returning soldiers, a significant number have returned to families and communities without continuing ties to the military department or veterans' administration, but still in need of help; and
(4) Our state needs to honor and serve those who have protected our security and safety." [ 2006 c 343 § 1