(1) The disabled veterans assistance account is created in the custody of the state treasurer. Disbursements of funds must be on the authorization of the director or the director's designee, and only for the purposes stated in subsection (4) of this section. In order to maintain an effective expenditure and revenue control, funds are subject in all respects to chapter 43.88
RCW, but an appropriation is not required to permit the expenditure of the funds.
(2) The department may request and accept nondedicated contributions, grants, or gifts in cash or otherwise, including funds generated by voluntary donations under RCW 43.60A.210
(3) All receipts from voluntary donations under RCW 43.60A.210
must be deposited into the account.
(4) All moneys deposited into the account must be used by the department for activities that benefit veterans including, but not limited to, providing programs and services that assist veterans with the procurement of durable medical equipment, mobility enhancing equipment, emergency home or vehicle repair, emergency food or emergency shelter, or service animals. The first priority for assistance provided through the account must be given to veterans who are experiencing a financial hardship and do not qualify for other federal or state veterans programs and services. Funds from the account may not be used to supplant existing funds received by the department.
(5) For the purposes of this section, "veteran" has the same meaning as in RCW 41.04.005
, and also means an actively serving member of the national guard or reserves, or is active duty military personnel.