(1) A person may not operate a wheeled all-terrain vehicle upon a public roadway of this state, not including nonhighway roads and trails, without (a) first obtaining a valid driver's license issued to Washington residents in compliance with chapter 46.20
RCW or (b) possessing a valid driver's license issued by the state of the person's residence if the person is a nonresident.
(2) A person who operates a wheeled all-terrain vehicle under this section is granted all rights and is subject to all duties applicable to the operator of a motorcycle under RCW 46.37.530
and chapter 46.61
RCW, unless otherwise stated in chapter 23, Laws of 2013 2nd sp. sess., except that wheeled all-terrain vehicles may not be operated side-by-side in a single lane of traffic.
(3) Wheeled all-terrain vehicles are subject to chapter 46.55
(4) Any person who violates this section commits a traffic infraction.
(5) The department may develop and implement an online training course for persons that register wheeled all-terrain vehicles and utility-type vehicles for use on a public roadway of this state. The department is granted rule-making authority for the training course. Any future costs associated with the training course must be appropriated from the highway safety account [fund] and any fees collected must be distributed to the highway safety account [fund].