(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is lawful to operate an off-road vehicle upon:
(a) A nonhighway road and in parking areas serving designated off-road vehicle areas if the state, federal, local, or private authority responsible for the management of the nonhighway road authorizes the use of off-road vehicles;
(b) A street, road, or highway as authorized under RCW 46.09.360
(c) Any trail, nonhighway road, or highway within the state while being used under the authority or direction of an appropriate agency that engages in emergency management, as defined in RCW 46.09.310
, or search and rescue, as defined in RCW 38.52.010
, or a law enforcement agency, as defined in RCW 16.52.011
, within the scope of the agency's official duties.
(2) An off-road vehicle operated on a nonhighway road or on a street, road, or highway as authorized under RCW 46.09.360
and this section is exempt from both registration requirements of chapter 46.16A
RCW and vehicle lighting and equipment requirements of chapter 46.37
(3) It is unlawful to operate an off-road vehicle upon a private nonhighway road if the road owner has not authorized the use of off-road vehicles.
(4) Nothing in this section authorizes trespass on private property.
(5) The provisions of RCW 4.24.210
(5) apply to public and private landowners who allow members of the public to use public facilities accessed by a highway, street, or nonhighway road for recreational off-road vehicle use.