(1) The term "hydraulic brake fluid" as used in this section shall mean the liquid medium through which force is transmitted to the brakes in the hydraulic brake system of a vehicle.
(2) Hydraulic brake fluid shall be distributed and serviced with due regard for the safety of the occupants of the vehicle and the public.
(3) The chief of the Washington state patrol shall, in compliance with the provisions of chapter 34.05
RCW, the administrative procedure act, which govern the adoption of rules, adopt and enforce regulations for the administration of this section and shall adopt and publish standards and specifications for hydraulic brake fluid which shall correlate with, and so far as practicable conform to, the then current standards and specifications of the society of automotive engineers applicable to such fluid.
(4) No person shall distribute, have for sale, offer for sale, or sell any hydraulic brake fluid unless it complies with the requirements of this section and the standard specifications adopted by the state patrol. No person shall service any vehicle with brake fluid unless it complies with the requirements of this section and the standards and specifications adopted by the state patrol.
(5) Subsections (3) and (4) of this section shall not apply to petroleum base fluids in vehicles with brake systems designed to use them.