(1) "Air conditioning equipment," as used or referred to in this section, means mechanical vapor compression refrigeration equipment that is used to cool the driver's or passenger compartment of any motor vehicle.
(2) Air conditioning equipment must be manufactured, installed, and maintained with due regard for the safety of the occupants of the vehicle and the public. Air conditioning equipment may not contain any refrigerant that is toxic to persons or that is flammable, unless the refrigerant is allowed under the department of ecology's motor vehicle emission standards adopted under RCW 70A.30.010
(3) The state patrol may enforce safety requirements, regulations, and specifications consistent with the requirements of this section applicable to air conditioning equipment which must correlate with and, so far as possible, conform to the current recommended practice or standard applicable to air conditioning equipment approved by the society of automotive engineers.
(4) A person may not sell or equip, for use in this state, a new motor vehicle with any air conditioning equipment unless it complies with the requirements of this section.
(5) A person may not register or license for use on any highway any new motor vehicle equipped with any air conditioning equipment unless the equipment complies with the requirements of this section.