(1) A registered tow truck operator may transport an abandoned recreational vehicle under RCW 46.53.010
without being licensed as a hulk hauler. The transport of an abandoned recreational vehicle by a registered tow truck operator under this chapter must be completed by utilizing a reasonable, direct, and safe route on the date of transport.
(2) A registered tow truck operator must provide a written record of the delivery to a licensed dismantler or authorized disposal site for each abandoned recreational vehicle by use of an abandoned vehicle report or junk vehicle affidavit to be sent to the department. A copy of the report must be maintained in the vehicle transaction file. Completion of the report relieves the registered tow truck operator from any civil or criminal liability for the disposal of a properly processed abandoned recreational vehicle.
Findings—2018 c 287: "The legislature finds that:
(1) Registered tow truck operators have continuing problems involving the disposal of recreational vehicles that have been impounded and abandoned pursuant to chapter 46.55
(2) Traditional methods of disposal are no longer adequate to meet the increasing problem of abandoned recreational vehicles in Washington state;
(3) Abandoned recreational vehicles continue to be a hazard to the health and safety of citizens, business owners, and the environment; and
(4) Adequate funding is necessary to resolve the problem of abandoned recreational vehicles in a manner that is environmentally friendly and economically sound so that registered tow truck operators may be successful in their duties of public impounding, transporting, and storing unauthorized vehicles." [ 2018 c 287 § 1