(1) Except where specifically authorized by the department, it is unlawful for any person or persons to stop, stand, or park any vehicle, including but not limited to trailers, campers, and motorcycles, for more than eight hours within a twenty-four hour period, or for any person or persons to camp or to maintain a camp, tent, or other sleeping accommodation or facility, in any safety rest area within the limits of the right-of-way of interstate highways or other state highways or in other areas of state or interstate highways as designated in RCW 47.12.250
. The department may also designate zones within a safety rest area with shorter parking time limits for the purposes of maximum efficiency and safety. Commercial vehicles may park up to an hour beyond federally mandated rest periods.
(2) Except where specifically authorized by the department, it is unlawful for any person or persons to stop, stand, or park any disabled vehicle, including but not limited to trailers, campers, and motorcycles, in any safety rest area for more than forty-eight hours, after which time the vehicle is subject to mandatory impoundment under RCW 46.55.080
(3) The department shall post appropriate signage consistent with RCW 46.55.070
(1) at all safety rest areas regarding the parking time limits in this section.
(4) The Washington state patrol shall enforce this section consistent with RCW 46.55.080
(1), and to the maximum extent practicable.