The definitions set forth in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Junk" means old or scrap copper, brass, rope, rags, batteries, paper, trash, rubber debris, waste, or junked, dismantled, or wrecked automobiles, or parts thereof, iron, steel, and other old or scrap ferrous or nonferrous material.
(2) "Automobile graveyard" means any establishment or place of business that is maintained, used, or operated by storing, keeping, buying, or selling wrecked, scrapped, ruined, or dismantled motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts.
(3) "Junkyard" means an establishment or place of business that is maintained, operated, or used for storing, keeping, buying, or selling junk or for the maintenance or operation of an automobile graveyard, and the term includes garbage dumps and sanitary fills.
(4) "Interstate system" means that portion of the national system of interstate and defense highways located within this state, as officially designated or as may hereafter be so designated by the department and approved by the United States secretary of transportation under Title 23 United States Code.
(5) "Federal-aid primary system" means that portion of connected main highways as officially designated or as may hereafter be so designated by the department and approved by the United States secretary of transportation as the federal-aid primary system pursuant to the provisions of Title 23 United States Code.
(6) "Department" means the Washington state department of transportation.