The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Commission" means the Washington utilities and transportation commission.
(2) "Retail telecommunications services" means the sale, lease, license, or indivisible right of use of telecommunications services or telecommunications facilities directly to end users.
(3) "Telecommunications" has the same meaning as contained in RCW 80.04.010
(4) "Telecommunications facilities" means lines, conduits, ducts, poles, wires, cables, crossarms, receivers, transmitters, instruments, machines, appliances, instrumentalities and all devices, real estate, easements, apparatus, property, and routes used, operated, owned, or controlled by any entity to facilitate the provision of telecommunications services.
(5) "Wholesale telecommunications services" means the provision of telecommunications services or telecommunications facilities for resale to an entity authorized to provide telecommunications services. Wholesale telecommunications services includes the provision of unlit or dark optical fiber for resale, but not the provision of lit optical fiber.
Findings—2000 c 81: "The legislature makes the following findings:
(1) Access to telecommunications facilities and services is essential to the economic well-being of both rural and urban areas.
(2) Many persons and entities, particularly in rural areas, do not have adequate access to telecommunications facilities and services.
(3) Public utility districts and rural port districts may be well-positioned to construct and operate telecommunications facilities." [ 2000 c 81 § 1