The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Account" has the same meaning as defined in RCW 62A.9A-102
(2) "Chattel paper" has the same meaning as defined in RCW 62A.9A-102
(3) "Department" means the department of labor and industries.
(4) "Director" means the director of labor and industries.
(5) "Employ" includes permit to work.
(6) "Employee" includes any individual currently or formerly employed by an employer.
(7) "Employer" includes any individual, partnership, association, corporation, business trust, or any person or group of persons acting directly or indirectly in the interest of an employer in relation to an employee.
(8) "Goods" has the same meaning as defined in RCW 62A.9A-102
(9) "Highly compensated employee" means any employee who was a five percent owner of the business at which he or she is employed during the current year or preceding year, or who received compensation from the employer in the preceding year in excess of the indexed compensation pursuant to 26 U.S.C. Sec. 414(q).
(10) "Instrument" has the same meaning as defined in RCW 62A.9A-102
(11) "Maintain" includes to maintain, clean, manage, improve, protect, repair, monitor, or restore real property at the instance of the owner or tenant or of any person acting by the owner's or tenant's authority.
(12) "Payment intangibles" has the same meaning as defined in RCW 62A.9A-102
(13) "Signature" includes an electronic signature.
(14) "Wage claim" means a claim for any unpaid wages owed to the claimant as an employee of an employer, as well as any other compensation, interest, statutory damages, liquidated damages, attorneys' fees and costs, or statutory penalties that may be owed for violation of a local, state, or federal wage law, including but not limited to chapters 39.12
, 49.12, 49.46, 49.48, and 49.52
RCW, and the fair labor standards act, 29 U.S.C. Sec. 201 et seq. A wage claim does not include vacation or severance pay, contributions to an employee benefit plan, or paid leave except paid leave that is statutorily mandated.