(1)(a) A manufacturer or supplier of food service products or film products that meet ASTM standard specification D6400 or ASTM standard specification D6868 must ensure that the items are readily and easily identifiable from other plastic food service products or plastic film products in a manner that is consistent with the federal trade commission guides.
(b) Film bags are exempt from the requirements of this section, and are instead subject to the requirements of RCW 70A.455.050
(2) For the purposes of this section, "readily and easily identifiable" products must:
(a) Be labeled with a logo indicating the product has been certified by a recognized third-party independent verification body as meeting the ASTM standard specification;
(b) Be labeled with the word "compostable," where possible, indicating the food packaging or film product has been tested by a recognized third-party independent body and meets the ASTM standard specification; and
(c) Meet industry standards for being distinguishable upon quick inspection in both public sorting areas and in processing facilities.
(3) A compostable product described in subsection (1) of this section must be considered compliant with the requirements of this section if it:
(a) Has green or brown labeling;
(b) Is labeled as compostable; and
(c) Uses distinctive color schemes, green or brown color striping, or other adopted symbols, colors, marks, or design patterns that help differentiate compostable items from noncompostable materials.
(4) It is encouraged that each product described in subsection (1) of this section:
(a) Display labeling language via printing, embossing, or compostable adhesive stickers using, when possible, either the colors green or brown that contrast with background product color for easy identification; or
(b) Be tinted green or brown.
(5) Graphic elements are encouraged to increase legibility of the word "compostable" and overall product distinction that may include text boxes, stripes, bands, or a green or brown tint of the product.
(6) A manufacturer or supplier is required to comply with this section only to the extent that the labeling requirements do not conflict with the federal trade commission guides.