(1) Transfers of water rights established as family farm permits under this chapter may be approved as authorized under this section and under RCW 90.03.380
, or 90.44.100
or chapter 90.80
RCW as appropriate.
(2) A family farm permit may be transferred:
(a) For use for agricultural irrigation purposes as limited by RCW 90.66.060
(1) and (2);
(b) To any purpose of use that is a beneficial use of water if the transfer is made exclusively under a lease agreement, except that transfers for the use of water for agricultural irrigation purposes shall be limited as provided by RCW 90.66.060
(1) and (2);
(c) To any purpose of use that is a beneficial use of water if the water right is for the use of water at a location that is, at the time the transfer is approved, within the boundaries of an urban growth area designated under chapter 36.70A
RCW or, in counties not planning under chapter 36.70A
RCW, within a city or town or within areas designated for urban growth in comprehensive plans prepared under chapter 36.70
RCW, except that transfers for the use of water for agricultural irrigation purposes shall be limited as provided by RCW 90.66.060
(1) and (2).
(3) If a portion of the water governed by a water right established under the authority of a family farm permit is made surplus to the beneficial uses exercised under the right through the implementation of practices or technologies, including but not limited to conveyance practices or technologies, that are more water-use efficient than those under which the right was perfected, the right to use the surplus water may be transferred to any purpose of use that is a beneficial use of water. Nothing in this subsection authorizes: A transfer of the portion of a water right that is necessary for the production of crops historically grown under the right; or a transfer of a water right or a portion of a water right that has not been perfected through beneficial use before the transfer. Water right transfers approved under this subsection must be consistent with the provisions of RCW 90.03.380
(4) Before a change in purpose of a family farm water permit to municipal supply purpose or domestic purpose may be authorized, the public water system that is receiving the family farm water permit must be meeting the water conservation requirements of its current water system plan approved by the department of health or its small water system management program.
(5) The place of use for a water right transferred under the authority of this section shall remain within: The water resource inventory area containing the place of use for the water right before the transfer; or the urban growth area or contiguous urban growth areas of the place of use for the water right before the transfer if the urban growth area or contiguous urban growth areas cross boundaries of water resource inventory areas.
(6) The authority granted by this section to transfer or alter the purpose of use of a water right established under the authority of a family farm permit shall not be construed as limiting in any manner the authority granted by RCW 90.03.380
, or 90.44.100
to alter other elements of such a water right.