323.1 General. Lithium-ion and lithium metal battery powered micromobility devices and powered industrial trucks shall be operated and maintained in accordance with this section.
1. Storage, repair and charging in residential occupancies of powered mobility devices, provided that such devices are for personal use by its owner.
2. Charging of a single powered mobility device in any occupancy by its owner.
323.1.1 Prohibited locations. The use of a residential occupancy as a business for the charging of commercially owned powered mobility devices or powered industrial trucks as part of a rental or sales service shall not be permitted.
323.2 Battery chargers and equipment. Powered micromobility devices and powered industrial trucks shall be charged in accordance with their listing and the manufacturer's instructions using only the original equipment manufacturer-supplied charging equipment or charging equipment in accordance with the listing and manufacturer's instructions.
323.3 Listing. Powered micromobility devices shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2272 or UL 2849, as applicable.
323.4 Battery charging areas. Where approved, powered micromobility devices and powered industrial trucks shall be permitted to be charged in a room or area that complies with all of the following:
1. Only listed devices utilizing listed charging equipment shall be permitted to be charged.
2. Is provided with sufficient electrical receptacles to allow the charging equipment for each device to be directly connected to a receptacle. Extension cords and relocatable power taps shall not be used.
3. Storage of combustible materials, combustible waste or hazardous materials shall not be permitted.
4. The charging operation shall not be conducted in or obstruct any required means of egress.
5. Removable storage batteries shall not be stacked or charged in an enclosed cabinet unless the cabinet is specially designed and approved for such purpose.
6. A minimum distance of 18 inches (457.2 mm) shall be maintained between each removable storage battery during charging operations unless each battery is isolated from neighboring batteries by an approved fire-resistant material.
7. A minimum of 18 inches (457.2 mm) shall be maintained between the locations of the batteries on each powered micromobility devices or powered industrial truck during charging operations.
8. The indoor room or area shall be protected by a fire alarm system utilizing air-aspirating smoke detectors or radiant energy-sensing fire detection.
323.5 Fire safety plan. A fire safety plan shall be provided in accordance with Section 403.10.6. In addition, the fire safety plan shall include emergency response actions to be taken upon detection of a fire or possible fire involving lithium-ion or lithium metal battery storage.