(1) A summary suspension is the temporary exclusion of a student from all or specified portions of university premises, programs, or activities pending an investigation and/or disciplinary proceeding relating to alleged student code violations.
(2) The dean of student success (or designee) may summarily suspend a student when the dean has cause to believe that the student (a) has violated any provision of the student code and (b) presents an immediate danger to the safety or security of the campus community and/or poses an ongoing threat of serious disruption or interference with university operations.
(3) Notice of a summary suspension, if given orally, must be followed by service of a written notice within two instructional days of the oral notice. The written notice shall include:
(a) The duration and scope of the suspension, including any conditions under which the student may access university premises or contact members of the campus community;
(b) The reasons for the suspension, including reference to the student code provisions allegedly violated, together with notice of any resulting or pending disciplinary action; and
(c) Notice of a summary suspension hearing to be held within three instructional days before a reviewing officer not otherwise involved in any pending disciplinary proceeding relating to the student.
(4) The reviewing officer will conduct the summary suspension hearing as an emergency proceeding under RCW 34.05.479
. The issue before the reviewing officer shall be whether probable cause exists to continue the summary suspension. The student shall be afforded an opportunity at the hearing to explain why the suspension should not be continued or why the suspension should be less restrictive in scope. If the student fails to appear or to participate in the hearing, the reviewing officer may order that the suspension continue pending the conclusion of disciplinary proceedings.
(5) The reviewing officer, within two instructional days of the hearing, shall issue a written decision either terminating the summary suspension or explaining the immediate danger and policy reasons justifying the continuation and/or modification of the summary suspension. The reviewing officer will provide a copy of the decision to all persons who may be bound or protected by it.
(6) The student may request review of the reviewing officer's decision before the student conduct council. Such review will be scheduled promptly and shall be consolidated with any pending disciplinary proceeding arising from the same conduct.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.35.120
and chapter 34.05
RCW. WSR 15-24-054, § 106-125-100, filed 11/23/15, effective 12/24/15.]