PDFWAC 110-50-0190

What sources of financial support are available to a relative caring for a child that the department has placed in the relative's home?

(1) For relatives needing financial support to care for the child, the social worker may assist the family to apply for temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) through the department's local community services office (CSO).
(2) Relatives who are licensed as foster parents may choose to receive foster care payments. The relative must not receive TANF benefits in behalf of the child in care while at the same time receiving foster care payments (see RCW 74.15.030).
(3) A relative who is not a licensed foster parent at the time of placement may apply to become a foster parent as described in chapter 388-148 WAC.
(4) The relative caring for the child in out-of-home placement may apply to be the representative payee for supplemental security income (SSI) or Social Security Administration benefits for the related child living with the relative. However, if the child is a dependent of the state of Washington with custody assigned to the department by the court, the department will usually remain the payee in behalf of the child until the dependency is dismissed.
[WSR 18-14-078, recodified as § 110-50-0190, filed 6/29/18, effective 7/1/18. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.13.031. WSR 01-08-047, § 388-25-0455, filed 3/30/01, effective 4/30/01.]