PDFWAC 110-50-0470

When may the department or a child placing agency authorize foster care placement?

The department or a child placing agency may place a child in foster care only under the following circumstances:
(1) The child has been placed in temporary residential care after having been taken into custody under chapter 13.32A RCW, Family Reconciliation Act, to alleviate personal or family situations that present an imminent threat to the health or stability of the child or family.
(2) The child, the child's parent(s), or the department has filed a petition requesting out-of-home placement for the child pursuant to RCW 13.32A.120 or 13.32A.140:
(a) Placement has been approved after a fact finding hearing under RCW 13.32A.170; or
(b) A child has been admitted directly to placement in a crisis residential center (CRC), and the parents have been notified of the child's whereabouts, physical and emotional condition, and the circumstances surrounding the child's placement.
(3) A child has been placed in shelter care under one of the following circumstances:
(a) The child has been taken into custody by law enforcement or through a hospital administrative hold and placed in shelter care; or
(b) A petition has been filed with the juvenile court alleging that the child is dependent; that the child's health, safety, and welfare will be seriously endangered if not taken into custody; and the juvenile court enters an order placing the child in shelter care (see RCW 13.34.050 and 13.34.060).
(4) A juvenile court has made a determination of dependency for a child and has issued a disposition order under RCW 13.34.130 that removes the child from the child's home.
(5) A juvenile court has terminated the parent and child relationship as provided in chapter 13.34 RCW and has placed the custody of the child with the department or with a licensed or certified child placing agency.
(6) The child's parent(s) or persons legally responsible to sign a consent for voluntary placement that demonstrates agreement with an out-of-home placement as described in RCW 74.13.031.
[WSR 18-14-078, recodified as § 110-50-0470, filed 6/29/18, effective 7/1/18. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.13.031. WSR 01-08-047, § 388-25-0025, filed 3/30/01, effective 4/30/01.]