The following definitions apply to this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) "Applicant" means a television, film or commercial production company intending to produce a qualified production in Washington state.
(2) "Motion picture competitiveness program" means an approved program that is a 501 (c)(6) nonprofit organization with the primary purpose of revitalizing the state's standing in the film production marketplace through recommending and awarding financial assistance to qualified productions.
(3) "Costs" mean actual expenses of preproduction, production and postproduction expended in Washington state for the production of motion pictures, including but not limited to payments made for salaries, wages, and health insurance and retirement benefits, the rental/lease costs of machinery, equipment and facilities, and the purchase of food, property, lodging, and permits for work conducted in Washington state.
(4) "Department" means the department of commerce.
(5) "Motion picture" means a recorded audio-visual production intended for distribution to theaters, DVD, video, or the internet, or television, or one or more episodes of a single television series, television pilot or television commercials. Motion picture does not mean production of one or more segments of a newscast or sporting event.
(6) "Funding assistance" means financial assistance from a motion picture competitiveness program.
(7) "Person" means the same as defined in RCW 82.04.030
(8) "Qualified production" is a production that has been certified by the motion picture competitiveness program as fully meeting the requirements for funding assistance.
(9) "Qualified expenditures" include production costs for wages and benefits provided to residents of Washington state for services performed in Washington state, goods and services purchased, leased or employed from a legal resident of this state, or a vendor or supplier who is located and doing business in this state for one year. Qualified expenditures do not include wages, salaries or other compensation for services of nonresident production personnel.
(10) "Motion picture competitiveness board" means a board appointed by the governor that administers the motion picture competitiveness program. The board evaluates and awards funding assistance to motion picture projects pursuant to the guidelines of this chapter.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.365.020
. WSR 09-17-015, § 130-20-010, filed 8/6/09, effective 9/6/09; WSR 09-03-033, § 130-20-010, filed 1/12/09, effective 2/12/09; WSR 07-03-015, § 130-20-010, filed 1/4/07, effective 2/4/07.]