(1) For student grievances regarding grades received for course work, before a student can file a formal or written grade appeal, they should try to resolve the issue directly with the instructor or their dean.
(2) If direct discussion with the faculty or instructional dean does not resolve the grade dispute to the student's satisfaction, the student may begin the formal grade grievance process.
(3) A student may formally grieve only the final grade received in a course, but that grievance may include any or all of the components of that final grade. For a grade grievance, the respondent(s) shall be, or include, the instructor who issued the grade. Assignment grades before the quarter ends, must be resolved using the informal grievance process by involving the instructor and their dean.
(4) A formal grievance regarding a grade must be filed not later than the last day of the quarter which follows the quarter for which the disputed grade was received, except that a grievance regarding a spring quarter grade may be filed through the last day of the following fall quarter.
(5) In specifying the facts and other grounds on which it is based, the formal grievance shall specify the grade that is being challenged and should attach copies of relevant documents. The response on behalf of the respondent shall include, to the extent feasible, the applicable evaluation criteria, copies of the course syllabus and relevant grading records, and the faculty member's explanation for the grade.
(6) Ordinarily the evaluation of course mastery is exclusively within the province of the instructor of a particular course, and so a grade change may be initiated only by that instructor.
(7) Nothing in these rules shall be construed to limit the separate authority of the vice president of instruction to change a grade when required by a judicial order or a legal settlement agreement entered into by the district, regardless of whether a grievance has been filed.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140
(3). WSR 21-13-066, § 132F-121-090, filed 6/12/21, effective 7/13/21. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140
(13). WSR 13-11-127, § 132F-121-090, filed 5/21/13, effective 6/21/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.100
, [28B.50].130, and/or [28B.50].140. WSR 03-16-015, § 132F-121-090, filed 7/28/03, effective 8/28/03.]