The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Abuse" means any act or failure to act by a department employee, subcontractor, or volunteer which was performed, or which was failed to be performed, knowingly, recklessly, or intentionally, and which caused, or may have caused, injury or death to an incarcerated individual.
(2) "Corrections ombuds" or "ombuds" means the corrections ombuds, staff of the corrections ombuds, and volunteers with the office of the corrections ombuds.
(3) "Complaint" means communication relayed to the ombuds through the ombuds' online complaint form or through use of the ombuds' review request form.
(4) "Department" means the department of corrections.
(5) "Incarcerated individual" means a person committed to the physical custody of the department, including persons residing in a correctional institution or facility and persons received from another state, another state agency, a county, or the federal government.
(6) "Neglect" means a negligent act or omission by any department employee, subcontractor, or volunteer which caused, or may have caused, injury or death to an incarcerated individual.
(7) "Office" means the office of the corrections ombuds.
(8) "Secretary" means the secretary of the department of corrections.
(9) "Statewide family council" means the family council maintained by the department that is comprised of representatives from local family councils.