(1) The medicaid agency makes small rural disproportionate share hospital (SRDSH) payments to qualifying small rural hospitals through the disproportionate share hospital (DSH) program.
(2) To qualify for an SRDSH payment, a hospital must:
(a) Not be participating in the "full cost" public hospital certified public expenditure (CPE) payment program as described in WAC 182-550-4650
(b) Not be designated as an "institution for mental diseases (IMD)" as defined in WAC 182-550-2600
(d) Have fewer than seventy-five acute beds;
(e) Be an in-state hospital. A hospital located out-of-state or in a designated bordering city is not eligible to receive SRDSH payments; and
(f) Be located in a city or town with a nonstudent population of no more than seventeen thousand eight hundred six in calendar year 2008, as determined by population data reported by the Washington state office of financial management population of cities, towns, and counties used for the allocation of state revenues. This nonstudent population is used for state fiscal year (SFY) 2010, which began July 1, 2009. For each subsequent SFY, the nonstudent population is increased by two percent.
(3) The agency pays hospitals qualifying for SRDSH payments from a legislatively appropriated pool. The agency determines each hospital's individual SRDSH payment from the total dollars in the pool using percentages established as follows:
(a) At the time the SRDSH payment is to be made, the agency calculates each hospital's profitability margin based on the hospital's base year data and audited financial statements.
(b) The agency determines the average profitability margin for the qualifying hospitals.
(c) Any hospital with a profitability margin of less than one hundred ten percent of the average profitability margin for qualifying hospitals receives a profit factor of 1.1. All other hospitals receive a profit factor of 1.0.
(d) The agency:
(i) Identifies the medicaid payment amounts made by the agency to the individual hospital during the SFY two years before the current SFY for which DSH application is being made. These medicaid payment amounts are based on historical data considered to be complete; then
(ii) Multiplies the total medicaid payment amount determined in subsection (i) by the individual hospital's assigned profit factor (1.1 or 1.0) to identify a revised medicaid payment amount; and
(iii) Divides the revised medicaid payment amount for the individual hospital by the sum of the revised medicaid payment amounts for all qualifying hospitals during the same period.
(4) The agency's SRDSH payments to a hospital may not exceed one hundred percent of the projected cost of care for medicaid clients and uninsured patients for that hospital unless an exception is required by federal statute or regulation.
(5) The agency reallocates dollars as defined in the state plan.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.05.021
. WSR 15-18-065, § 182-550-5200, filed 8/27/15, effective 9/27/15. WSR 11-14-075, recodified as § 182-550-5200, filed 6/30/11, effective 7/1/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
, and 74.09.730
(2). WSR 10-17-095, § 388-550-5200, filed 8/17/10, effective 9/17/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
. WSR 07-14-090, § 388-550-5200, filed 6/29/07, effective 8/1/07; WSR 06-08-046, § 388-550-5200, filed 3/30/06, effective 4/30/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
, and 2003 1st sp.s. c 25. WSR 04-12-044, § 388-550-5200, filed 5/28/04, effective 7/1/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
(1), and 43.88.290
. WSR 03-13-055, § 388-550-5200, filed 6/12/03, effective 7/13/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
, chapter 74.46
RCW and 42 U.S.C. 1396r-4. WSR 99-14-025, § 388-550-5200, filed 6/28/99, effective 7/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
, [74.09.]500, [74.09.]530 and 43.20B.020
. WSR 98-01-124, § 388-550-5200, filed 12/18/97, effective 1/18/98.]