(1) The purpose of this regulation, WAC 284-23-600
, is to define certain minimum standards for the regulation of accelerated benefit provisions of individual and group life insurance policies, a single violation of which will be deemed to constitute an unfair claims settlement practice. The commissioner finds and hereby defines it to be an unfair act or practice and an unfair method of competition for any insurer to provide accelerated benefits except as provided in this regulation.
(2) The commissioner finds that accelerated benefits in life insurance policies are primarily mortality risks rather than morbidity risks. The commissioner further finds that accelerated benefits are optional modes of settlement of proceeds under life insurance proceeds under RCW 48.11.020
. No qualifying event as defined under WAC 284-23-620
(3) changes the nature of the underlying life insurance policy. No accelerated benefits provision shall be called or marketed as long-term care as defined under RCW 48.83.020
(3) This regulation applies to all accelerated benefit provisions of individual and group life insurance policies and riders which are issued or delivered to a resident of this state, on or after the effective date of this regulation. The regulation applies to both policies and riders. It also applies to solicitations for the sale of accelerated benefits, whether in the form of policies or riders.
(4) This regulation does not require inclusion or offering of any accelerated benefit in a life insurance policy. This regulation regulates those accelerated benefits which individual and group life insurers choose to advertise, offer, or market on or after the effective date of this regulation.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
(1), and 48.83.140
(4)(a). WSR 08-24-023 (Matter No. R 2008-19), § 284-23-610, filed 11/24/08, effective 12/25/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 98-05-026 (Matter No. R 96-13), § 284-23-610, filed 2/6/98, effective 3/9/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
(3)(a) and 48.30.010
. WSR 94-18-029 (Order R 94-18), § 284-23-610, filed 8/29/94, effective 9/29/94.]