(1) Health plans and student health plans must provide covered persons access to sufficient numbers and types of providers and facilities to assure that covered persons are able to access all covered contraceptive services and all Federal Food and Drug Administration approved contraceptive supplies without unreasonable delay or burden.
(2) If a health plan or student health plan limits coverage of contraceptive services and supplies to in-network providers, the carrier must demonstrate that its network for these services and supplies meets the access and adequacy standards set forth in chapter 284-170
(3) In any case where the health plan's network or student health plan's network has an absence of or an insufficient number or type of participating providers or facilities to provide a particular covered contraceptive service or supply, including over-the-counter contraceptives, in a timely manner appropriate for the enrollee's condition, the carrier must ensure that the covered person obtains the covered service or supply from a provider or facility within reasonable proximity of the enrollee at no greater cost to the enrollee than if the service or supply were obtained from network providers and facilities. The carrier must satisfy this obligation even if an alternate access delivery request under WAC 284-170-210
has been submitted and is pending approval by the insurance commissioner.
(4) If a health plan or student health plan limits the quantity of covered contraceptive supplies or services, the carrier must have a written process for covered persons to request coverage of additional services or supplies. The process may not impose any restriction or delay on the coverage of contraceptive supplies in violation of RCW 48.43.072
, or any other state or federal law.
(5) Effective January 1, 2021, contraceptive supplies must also be covered when used exclusively for the prevention of sexually transmitted infections.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
, and 2019 c 399. WSR 19-24-039, § 284-43-7240, filed 11/26/19, effective 12/27/19.]