Carriers must use the rotational registry system of certified independent review organizations (IROs) established by the commissioner.
(1) Using the commissioner's online service carriers must select reviewing IROs in the rotational manner described in the rotational registry system. A carrier may not make an assignment to an IRO out of sequence for any reason other than the existence of a conflict of interest, as set forth in WAC 284-43A-050
(2) The rotational registry system, a current list of certified IROs, IRO assignment instructions, and an IRO assignment form to be used by carriers are set forth on the insurance commissioner's web site (www.insurance.wa.gov).
(3) In addition to the requirements set forth in RCW 48.43.535
(4), carriers must:
(a) Make available to the covered person and to any provider acting on behalf of the covered person all materials provided to an independent review organization reviewing the carrier's determination; and
(b) Provide IROs with:
(i) All relevant clinical review criteria used by the carrier and other relevant medical, scientific, and cost-effectiveness evidence;
(ii) The attending or ordering provider's recommendations; and
(iii) A copy of the terms and conditions of coverage under the relevant health plan.
(4) Carriers must report to the commissioner each assignment made to an IRO not later than three business days after an assignment is made. Information regarding the enrollee's personal health should not be provided with the report.
(5) Each carrier and health plan must submit final IRO decision determination information using the commissioner's online service within three business days of receipt of the IRO's final decision. Data elements and procedures for submission are located on the office of the insurance commissioner's web site.
(6) The requirements of this section are in addition to the requirements set forth in RCW 48.43.535
, and rules adopted in subchapter B of this chapter.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
, and 48.43.537
. WSR 16-23-168 (Matter No. R 2016-17), § 284-43A-150, filed 11/23/16, effective 1/1/17.]