(1)(a) Every long-term care insurance policy and certificate must include a provision that allows the policyholder or certificate holder to reduce coverage and lower the policy or certificate premium in at least one of the following ways:
(i) Reducing the maximum benefit; or
(ii) Reducing the daily, weekly or monthly benefit amount.
(b) The issuer may also offer other reduction options that are consistent with the policy or certificate design or the issuer's administrative processes.
(2) The provision must include a description of the ways in which coverage may be reduced and the process for requesting and implementing a reduction in coverage.
(3) The age to determine the premium for the reduced coverage must be based on the age used to determine the premiums for the coverage currently in force.
(4) The issuer may limit any reduction in coverage to plans or options available for that policy form and to those for which benefits will be available after consideration of claims paid or payable.
(5) If a policy or certificate is about to lapse, the issuer must provide a written reminder to the policyholder or certificate holder of his or her right to reduce coverage and premiums in the notice required by WAC 284-83-025
(6) Compliance with this section may be accomplished by policy replacement, exchange or by adding the required provision via amendment or endorsement to the policy.
(7) This section does not apply to life insurance policies or riders containing accelerated long-term care benefits.