(1) Bicycles, electric-assisted bicycles, and electric scooters parked in violation of WAC 478-116-199
will be subject to seizure and impoundment by the university.
(2) Except as provided by WAC 478-116-199
(2), a bicycle abandoned or parked on campus, other than at residential halls, for fourteen consecutive days or longer is presumed abandoned and is subject to seizure and impoundment by the university. Bicycles remaining at resident halls once the school year ends will be presumed abandoned and are subject to seizure and impoundment by the university. A bicycle will not be considered abandoned when the owner/operator is unable to remove it and so notifies UWPD. A bicycle that has been obviously stripped or vandalized may be immediately impounded.
(3) Owners of impounded bicycles, electric-assisted bicycles, and electric scooters, if identifiable, will be notified as soon as reasonably possible after impoundment and must reclaim their bicycle within fifteen consecutive days. All fines, fees, and the impoundment fee must be paid prior to the release of the bicycle. Bicycles, electric-assisted bicycles, and electric scooters unclaimed after sixty consecutive days will be subject to sale through the university surplus property department.
(4) The university and its officers, agents, and employees shall not be liable for loss or damage of any kind resulting from impoundment, storage, or sale of any item under this section.
(5) Impoundment or sale of any bicycle, electric-assisted bicycles, and electric scooters under this section shall neither substitute for, nor release, any person from liability for damage to persons or property caused by the use of a bicycle, nor does it remove the obligation for any fines associated with the violation or other outstanding citations. Any proceeds resulting from the sale of a bicycle though the university surplus department will be credited toward the outstanding fee associated with the impoundment of that bicycle.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.10.560
. WSR 19-11-046, § 478-116-365, filed 5/10/19, effective 6/10/19; WSR 11-13-058, § 478-116-365, filed 6/14/11, effective 8/8/11.]