(1) Election to pay fine. A person who receives a citation shall, within twenty calendar days from the date of the citation, either pay the applicable fine or contest the issuance of the citation in the manner prescribed in subsection (2) of this section. Once the applicable fine is paid, the citation can no longer be appealed. Failure to either pay the fine or timely appeal the citation shall automatically result in the citation being final, and an additional late payment fee per offense shall be imposed for each citation which is not responded to within the time limits set forth in this section.
(2) Election to contest a citation. A person wishing to contest a citation (hereinafter "petitioner") may do so by completing and submitting a citation petition (hereinafter "petition") within twenty calendar days of the date of the citation. Petitions for motorized and nonmotorized parking citations must be submitted through the citation appeal process as described on the citation notification(s) within the allotted time limit. Petitions for traffic and all other nonmotorized citations must be delivered to UWPD within the allotted time limit.
Petitioners may submit their petition through the citation appeals portal available on the transportation services and UWPD websites. The petitioner must complete each section of the petition form and provide a brief statement regarding circumstances associated with the citation. A citation hearing officer shall review the petition and provide written notification of his or her initial decision with information about the opportunity for further review. The amount of any reduction to the fine assessed in the initial decision is at the discretion of the citation hearing officer. Any fines owed on an initial decision not contested as provided in subsection (3) of this section shall be paid within twenty-one calendar days after service of the initial decision. If payment is not received within twenty-one calendar days, any offer of settlement or reduction is withdrawn, the full amount of the fine shall stand, an additional late fee shall be imposed, and the citation shall be deemed final.
(3) Review of initial decision. If a petitioner chooses to contest the initial decision issued by the citation hearing officer, the petitioner shall forfeit any reduction in the assessed fines offered in the initial decision. The petitioner must contact the department processing the petition (transportation services or UWPD) orally or in writing within twenty-one calendar days after service of the decision. The request for review shall contain an explanation of the petitioner's position and a statement of reasons why the initial decision on the petition was incorrect. The reviewing officer shall, within twenty calendar days of the date of the request to review the initial decision, render a final written decision which shall include a brief statement of the reasons for the decision, offer of settlement if applicable, and provide information about the opportunity to appeal the decision to district court. The amount of fine or settlement assessed in the final decision is at the discretion of the citation hearing officer. Any final decision of the reviewing officer not appealed as provided in subsection (4) or (5) of this section shall be paid within ten calendar days after service of the decision. If payment is not received within ten calendar days, any offer of settlement or reduction is withdrawn, the full amount of the fine shall stand, an additional late fee shall be imposed, and the citation shall be deemed final.
(4) Discretionary review of initial decision. If the petitioner has not requested a review of the initial decision, the citation hearing officer may, within twenty calendar days after service of the initial decision, conduct a review and issue a final decision on its own motion and without notice to the parties, but it may not take any action on review less favorable to the petitioner than the initial decision without giving the petitioner notice and opportunity to explain his or her view of the matter.
(5) Appeal to district court. The application for appeal to district court shall be in writing and must be filed with the department processing the petition (transportation services or UWPD) within ten calendar days of service of the final decision. The written notice must be submitted on the "Notice of Appeal" form provided by transportation services or UWPD. The Notice of Appeal form will be available at transportation services or UWPD during regular hours of operation. The department processing the citation will forward the documents relating to the appeal to district court. No appeal to the district court may be taken unless the citation has been contested as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, in addition to this subsection. If a petitioner chooses to contest the decision issued by the citation hearing officer via appeal to the district court, the petitioner shall forfeit any reduction in the assessed fines offered in the hearing officer's decision.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.10.560
. WSR 19-11-046, § 478-116-405, filed 5/10/19, effective 6/10/19; WSR 11-13-058, § 478-116-405, filed 6/14/11, effective 8/8/11.]