Washington State University Pullman acknowledges the findings of the United States Surgeon General that tobacco use in any form, active and passive, is a significant health hazard. The university further recognizes that the United States Environmental Protection Agency classifies environmental tobacco smoke as a class A carcinogen. In light of these health risks, and in support of a safe and healthy learning/working environment, WSU Pullman establishes the restrictions in this section, WAC 504-38-010
, and 504-38-030
, otherwise collectively referred to as the WSU Pullman tobacco and nicotine use policy.
(1) Tobacco and nicotine usage is not permitted within the perimeter of WSU Pullman property. Smoking and nicotine use materials must be secured, extinguished, and/or disposed of prior to entering WSU Pullman property or exiting private vehicles. Improper disposal, including spitting smokeless tobacco or discarding cigarette butts on the ground or out of a vehicle, is not permitted.
(2) The WSU Pullman tobacco and nicotine use policy applies to all students, faculty, and staff or other persons using university facilities.
(3) The WSU Pullman tobacco and nicotine use policy is not intended to impede on institutional review board (IRB) research projects. IRB-approved research projects are exempt from this policy.
(4) The WSU Pullman tobacco and nicotine use policy is not intended to impede on WSU tobacco and nicotine cessation programs.
(5) Definitions. For the purposes of this chapter, the terms "tobacco and nicotine use products" and "property" are defined as follows:
(a) Tobacco and nicotine use products. Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, hookah, all forms of smokeless tobacco, electronic cigarettes, nicotine inhalers, clove cigarettes, and other alternative products made primarily with or from tobacco.
(b) Property. All buildings, grounds, state-owned vehicles and equipment (motor pool, maintenance) including, but not limited to, parking lots, bus stops, county-owned and WSU-maintained streets or sidewalks, recreational fields, golf course, and all open common areas within the WSU Pullman campus. This also includes noncontiguous WSU-owned property located within the city limits of Pullman, Washington, and in Whitman County, Washington.
(6) The sale or free distribution of tobacco or nicotine products or tobacco-related merchandise is prohibited on university property.
(7) Sponsorship of campus events by tobacco or nicotine promoting organizations is prohibited.
(8) Advertisement of tobacco or nicotine products at university events is prohibited regardless of sponsorship.
(9) Tobacco or nicotine use on university property or improper disposal of smoking materials may result in disciplinary action. Employees may be subject to corrective or disciplinary action and students may be referred to the WSU Pullman office of student conduct. Other violators may be trespassed from the WSU Pullman campus and subject to other sanctions available to enforce the tobacco and nicotine use policy.
(10) Signage. Signs are to be posted at prominent locations regarding applicable restrictions.