(1) The dean or his or her designee establishes a schedule of fines for materials not returned by the due date or time and for materials which are damaged or lost by a patron or borrower. Fines are in addition to replacement charges and repair charges, which are based on the actual cost of such replacement or repair. All patrons and borrowers are subject to the established fines and charges. The established schedule of fines and charges is available on the library web page and at the circulation desk of each library facility.
(2) Replacement charges are levied to pay for the replacement of materials more than ninety days overdue. The replacement charges include the cost of the material and the cost of processing the material for the shelves. Regardless of the amount of fines, fees, and charges that a borrower pays, all library materials remain state property.
(3) Binding, mending, and damage charges are levied to repair material, to prepare replacement materials for circulation, or to compensate for the decreased value of materials due to irreparable damage.
(4) Fines are monetary sanctions imposed for the failure to return materials to the library by the designated time or date. Materials due on a designated date must be returned before the library's close of business on that day. Materials due at a designated time are overdue if returned to the unit from which it was borrowed more than five minutes after that time.
(5) Fines, charges, and/or unpaid fees levied by the library are a debt to Washington State University. All policies and law applicable to university debts apply to the fines, charges, and unpaid fees.
(6) The library may levy reasonable charges to defray the costs incurred by the library in billing for fines, charges, and unpaid fees.
(7) The library sends all notices and invoices for fines, charges, and unpaid fees by United States first class, campus, or electronic mail. A library patron or borrower owes the fines, charges, and fees invoiced even if the patron or borrower does not receive a notice or invoice for those amounts.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.30.150
. WSR 11-23-136, § 504-41-055, filed 11/22/11, effective 12/23/11.]