[Filed April 22, 1997, 10:58 a.m., effective July 1, 1997]
Date of Adoption: April 16, 1997.
Purpose: This rule establishes a limit on the number of occasions in which a gift certificate may be awarded as a bingo prize and sets a maximum of $40 for the value of the gift certificate prize. WSR 96-11-125 (CR-101), WSR 96-24-004 (CR-102).
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 230-20-115.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 9.46.070 (1), (8), (11), (14), (16), (20).
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 97-03-092 on January 17, 1997.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Effective Date of Rule: July 1, 1997.
April 21, 1997
Rules and Policy Coordinator
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending Order 288 [WSR 96-07-078], filed 3/19/96,
WAC 230-20-115 Gift certificates--Requirements. Gift certificates may be sold or issued as prizes during bingo games and such shall not be deemed sales of bingo cards for purposes of this title if licensees comply with the following restrictions:
(1) If sold, gift certificates shall be paid for in full at the time they are issued;
(2) Gross receipts from the sale of certificates shall be deposited separately into the gambling account no later than five banking days after receipt. The certificate numbers relating to the funds deposited shall be a part of the deposit record;
(3) For gift certificates awarded as prizes, the value of the certificate is recorded as a bingo prize on the daily bingo records for the sessions in which the certificate was issued. The certificate will be supported by a bingo prize receipt;
(4) Gift certificates shall be purchased from a commercial printer or licensed distributor and shall be prenumbered, consecutively issued, and have a predetermined value with the following information imprinted:
(a) The name of the organization issuing the certificate;
(b) The date issued and an expiration date no later than three months from the date issued for awarded certificates; and one year for sold certificates;
(c) The dollar value of the certificate; and
(d) Any conditions or contingencies related to redemption of the certificate;
If given as a prize, the value of the certificate shall be no
more than forty dollars U.S. currency)) Gift certificates may only be
awarded as prizes on up to four occasions per year, and no prize shall
include more than forty dollars U.S. currency in gift certificates;
(6) Certificates shall only be redeemed for bingo cards, food, drink, merchandise, punchboards or pull tabs upon the licensed premises from which it was issued;
(7) Certificates redeemed shall be applied against bingo activity and daily bingo records shall be modified in the cash reconciliation section of the approved record format to document the number and dollar value of certificates redeemed;
(8) A reconciliation of gift certificate inventory to certificates issued shall be performed on a monthly basis and will include the following control features:
(a) Purchase invoices will be retained for gift certificates and they will include the organization name, date of purchase, and beginning and ending certificate numbers;
(b) Redeemed certificates will be maintained with the corresponding daily sales records;
(c) Certificates not redeemed within the expiration date shall be properly accounted for as a donation; and
(d) A certificate log will be maintained and will include the following:
(i) Certificate number;
(ii) Certificate value;
(iii) Date of issue;
(iv) Expiration date;
(v) Date of redemption; and
(vi) If awarded as a prize, the session and date the prize is
[Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070 (1), (8) - (11), (14), (16), (20).
96-07-078, 230-20-115, filed 3/19/96, effective 7/1/96.]
Reviser's note: The bracketed material preceding the section above was supplied by the code reviser's office.