Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 00-01-036.
Title of Rule: Chapter 308-96A WAC, General provisions for registration of vehicles.
Purpose: 1. To meet the criteria set forth in Governor Locke's Executive Order 97-02.
2. To clarify rules and help make them more comprehensible.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 46.01.110, 46.16.135, 46.16.225, 46.16.490, 46.17.276.
Summary: Amending WAC 308-96A-005 Terminology.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: Meet criteria supporting Governor Locke's Executive Order 97-02.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Patrick J. Zlateff, 1125 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, 902-3718; Implementation and Enforcement: Eric Andersen, 1125 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, 902-4045.
Name of Proponent:
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: The anticipated effects will be a clarification of the above-mentioned requirements.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: Clarify sections needed and repeal those no longer required.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. A small business economic impact statement is not required pursuant to RCW 19.85.030 (1)(a). The proposed rule making does not impose more than a minor cost on businesses in an industry.
RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption. The contents of the proposed rules are explicitly and specifically dictated by statute.
Hearing Location: Highways-Licenses Building, Conference Room 107, 1125 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98507, on March 8, 2000, at 10:00 a.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Patrick J. Zlateff by March 7, 2000, TDD (360) 664-8885, or (360) 902-3718.
Submit Written Comments to: Patrick J. Zlateff, Rules Coordinator, Title and Registration Services, P.O. Box 2957, Olympia, WA 98507-2957, fax (360) 664-0831, by March 7, 2000.
Date of Intended Adoption: April 4, 2000.
January 18, 2000
Deborah McCurley, Administration
Title and Registration Services
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 97-10-003, filed 4/24/97, effective 5/25/97)
Terminology -- Definitions.
Terms used in
chapter 46.16 RCW and this chapter shall have the following
meanings except where otherwise defined, and unless where used
the context ((
thereof)) clearly indicates to the contrary(( :
(1) The terms "license or licensing" and "register or registering" are synonymous and mean the act of registration of a vehicle pursuant to chapter 46.16 RCW.
(2) The terms "tonnage," "declared gross weight," and "combined gross weight" are used interchangeably when referring to license fees for trucks, motor trucks, truck tractors, road tractors, tractors, bus, auto stage, or for hire vehicles with seating capacity of more than six.
(3) "No bill" or "special mailer" means the notice to renew a license provided by the department in lieu of a renewal notice. The special mailer requires additional or corrective information prior to the registration renewal.
(4) "Prebill" or "renewal notice" means the notice to renew a vehicle license provided by the department.
(5) "Current year" means the current registration year unless otherwise stated.
(6) "Month of expiration" or "expiration month" means the calendar month during which a registration year ends.
(7) "Fleet" means a group of vehicles registered in the same owner name and which have been assigned the same fleet identifier code by the department.
(8) "License fee" means the fees required for the act of licensing a vehicle pursuant to chapter 46.16 RCW. License fee does not include special license plate fees and fees collected by the department for other jurisdictions.
(9) "Day of expiration" or "expiration day" means the day of the month that a vehicle registration, gross weight license, or tabs expire)).
(1) "Agent" means any county auditor, or other individual or business entity other than a subagent appointed to carry out vehicle licensing and titling functions for the department. (RCW 46.01.140.)
(2) "Application" means a form provided or approved by the department to apply for different types of services and documents.
(3) "Cab and chassis" is a truck manufactured and sold with only a cab and the frame and running gear. (WAC 308-96A-145.)
(4) "Current year" means the current registration year unless otherwise stated. (WAC 308-96A-260.)
(5) "Expiration day and month."
(a) "Day of expiration" or "expiration day" means the day of the month on which the vehicle registration, gross weight license, or tabs expire.
(b) "Month of expiration" or "expiration month" means the calendar month during which a registration year ends. (WAC 308-96A-260.)
(6) "Department" means the department of licensing. (RCW 46.04.162.)
(7) "Parking ticket disposition" means the requested action as determined by the jurisdiction to add failure-to-pay parking violations, or to remove paid parking violations from a vehicle record. (RCW 46.16.216.)
(8) "Disabled persons parking placard expiration date" means:
(a) The last day of the month specified on a temporary placard; or
(b) Not less than five years from the end of month and year of issuance of a permanent placard, as specified by the department on the placard. (RCW 46.16.381.)
(9) "Fixed load vehicle" a fixed load vehicle is specified in RCW 46.16.070 and described in WAC 308-96A-099.
(10) "Fleet" means a group of five or more vehicles registered in the same owner name and which have been assigned the same fleet identifier code by the department and has an expiration date of December 31st of each year. (WAC 308-56A-161.)
(11) "Identification card" means the identification card referred to in RCW 46.16.381(3) for disabled parking privileges and is used for identification of persons with disabilities.
(12) "Jurisdiction seal" means a method of verifying authenticity of court documents, which is provided by the jurisdiction that issued the citation. A jurisdiction seal is an embossed seal or stamp provided by the jurisdiction. (WAC 308-96A-345.)
(13) "License or licensing" and "register or registering" are synonymous and mean the act of registration under chapter 46.16 RCW.
(14) "License tab fees" means the fees required for the act of licensing a vehicle under chapter 46.16 RCW.
(15) "Licensed physician" for the purpose of disabled person parking privileges, means, chiropractic physicians, naturopaths, medical doctors, osteopathic physicians and podiatric physicians. Licensed physician does not include persons licensed in the professions of dentistry and optometry. (RCW 46.16.381(1).)
(16) "Municipality" in reference to parking tickets means every court having jurisdiction over offenses committed under RCW 46.20.270. (WAC 308-96A-345.)
(17) "NCIC" means the National Crime Information Center.
(18) "Special mailer" means the notice sent by the department in lieu of a renewal notice. The special mailer indicates additional or corrective information that must be provided at the time of registration renewal.
(19) "One hundred twenty day notice" in reference to parking violations means a warning notice "notice of parking tickets" that contains a list of parking violations that must be satisfied prior to the registration renewal date. (RCW 46.16.216.)
(20) "Parking violation" means any standing, stopping or parking violation per RCW 46.20.270(3).
(21) "Parking violation list" means a computerized list containing all outstanding parking violations, which have been processed by the department. (WAC 308-96A-345.)
(22) "Permanent" in reference to disabled person parking privileges means a licensed physician has certified that a qualifying condition is expected to last at least five years. (RCW 46.16.381. WAC 308-96A-306.)
(23) "Permit" in reference to disabled person parking privileges means the proof provided by the department in the form of placard(s), special license plate(s) and an identification card indicating eligibility for disabled person parking privileges. (RCW 46.16.381.)
(24) "Personal use vehicle" in reference to disabled veteran's, prisoners of war and congressional medal of honor plates, means passenger vehicles, motor homes, motorcycles, and trucks with designated gross vehicle weight at no more than twelve thousand pounds. Registration ownership must be in the name of the individual and not in the business name. (WAC 308-96A-046.)
(25) "Prebill" or "renewal notice" means the notice to renew a vehicle license provided by the department approximately sixty days prior to the current expiration year.
(26) "Private carriers" means those entities contracting with public transportation authorities to transport persons with disabilities described in RCW 46.16.381. (WAC 308-96A-316.)
(27) "Privilege" in reference to disabled person's parking privileges means the right to utilize the benefits associated with the permit. (RCW 46.16.381, 46.61.582 and 70.84.090. WAC 308-96A-306.)
(28) "Public transportation authorities" means those entities operating motor vehicles owned or leased by Washington state, or a town, city, county, municipality, or metropolitan or municipal corporation within the state, or United States government agencies or Indian nations used for the primary purpose of transporting persons with disabilities described in RCW 46.16.381.
(29) "Rental car" means a rental car as defined in RCW 46.04.465.
(30) "Signature" means any memorandum, mark, sign or subscriptions made with intent to authenticate an application. (RCW 9A.04.110(23).)
(31) "Scale weight" means the weight of a vehicle as it stands without a load. (RCW 46.16.070 and 46.16.111.)
(32) "Subagent" means individual(s), business, organization, or political entity appointed by the director to provide vehicle and vessel licensing and titling services under contract with the agent as described in RCW 46.01.140.
(33) "Tab" means a decal issued by the department that is affixed to the license plate(s) for a specific vehicle.
(34) "Tonnage," "declared gross weight" and "declared combined gross weight" are used interchangeably when referring to the amount of weight declared by an owner when licensing a vehicle in the truck/commercial use class. (RCW 46.16.070 and 46.16.111.)
(35) "Transit permit" means a document that authorizes an individual to operate a vehicle on a public highway of this state solely for the purpose of obtaining necessary documentation to complete and apply for a Washington certificate of ownership or registration. (WAC 308-96A-026.)
(36) "Vehicle database record" means the electronic record stored on the department's motor vehicle database reflecting vehicle and ownership information.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110. 97-10-003, § 308-96A-005, filed 4/24/97, effective 5/25/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110, 1993 c 488 and chapter 46.12 RCW. 94-17-044, § 308-96A-005, filed 8/10/94, effective 9/10/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110. 93-14-083, § 308-96A-005, filed 6/30/93, effective 7/31/93; 92-15-025, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/6/92, effective 8/6/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.17.060, 46.01.060, 46.16.070 and 46.16.135. 92-02-100, § 308-96A-005, filed 1/2/92, effective 2/2/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110 and 46.16.335. 91-15-006, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/8/91, effective 8/8/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.600, 46.16.276 and 46.01.110. 87-12-023 (Order TL/RG-34), § 308-96A-005, filed 5/28/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.135, 46.16.225, 46.16.490 and 46.01.110. 86-10-040 (Order TL/RG 24), § 308-96A-005, filed 5/5/86; Order MV-355, § 308-96A-005, filed 5/10/76; Order MV-328, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/24/75.]