WSR 00-06-061



(Economic Services Administration)

[ Filed March 1, 2000, 8:18 a.m. ]

Date of Adoption: March 1, 2000.

Purpose: Amend WAC 388-310-0800 to provide a transitional work expense of $1000 to WorkFirst participants who are receiving a TANF/SFA grant of $100 or less. This allows the TANF/SFA client to "bank" their remaining months of TANF/SFA.

Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 388-310-0800.

Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.08A.340(2), 74.08.090, and 74.04.050.

Other Authority: 45 C.F.R. 260.31.

Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.

Reasons for this Finding: This policy change supports the overall WorkFirst goal of helping low-income families become self-sufficient as quickly as possible and remain independent of TANF/SFA. Under current policy, WorkFirst participants whose TANF/SFA grants are $100 a month or less often stay on cash assistance. This results in participants using up valuable months of their sixty-month lifetime limit for cash assistance.

Research show that employed former TANF/SFA recipients often face unexpected financial demand during her or his first year off assistance. This policy change gives these participants a financial "boost" as they leave assistance to help them make it through this important transition year. Perhaps more importantly, it allows them to "bank" their remaining month of cash assistance for future emergencies.

Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.

Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.

Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.

Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.

Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0. Effective Date of Rule: Immediately.

March 1, 2000

Marie Myerchin-Redifer, Manager

Rules and Policies Assistance Unit

AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 99-14-043, filed 6/30/99, effective 7/31/99)

WAC 388-310-0800
WorkFirst--Support services.

(1) Why do I receive support services?

Support services help you participate in work and WorkFirst activities that lead to financial independence. You can also get help in paying your child care expenses through the working connections child care assistance program. (Chapter 388-290 WAC describes the rules for this child care assistance program.)

(2) What support services may I receive?

You may receive support services, including but not limited to any of the following:

(a) Employment related needs such as work clothing or uniforms, tools, equipment, relocation expenses, or fees;

(b) Transportation costs such as mileage reimbursement, public transportation vouchers, and car repair;

(c) Professional services;

(d) Personal needs such as clothing appropriate for job search or other work activities;

(e) Special needs such as accommodations for employment;

(f) Identified specific needs due to location or employment if you are an American Indian;

(g) Job skills training, vocational education and/or basic education if:

(i) It is an approved activity in your individual responsibility plan; and

(ii) You do not qualify for sufficient student financial aid to meet the cost.

(h) Transitional work expense of one thousand dollars if:

(i) You are receiving a TANF/SFA grant of one hundred dollars or less a month; and

(ii) You voluntarily stop receiving your TANF/SFA grant; and

(iii) You are an adult and have never received a transitional work expense.

(3) When will I get support services?

The department or its agents will decide what support services you will receive, as follows:

(a) You need the support services to do the activities in your individual responsibility plan;

(b) It is within available funds; and

(c) It does not assist, promote, or deter religious activity.

(4) How much support services can I get?

The chart below shows the guidelines for the amount and type of support services you can get. There is a suggested limit of fifteen hundred dollars per person per calendar year for the amount of support services you can receive from the department and/or employment security.

Type of Support Service Suggested Limit
Accommodation (reasonable) $1,000 per request
Books/supplies (school) No limit
Car repair $500 per calendar year
Clothing–General Participant–$250 per request

Each child–$100 per request

Clothing/uniforms–Employment Participant–$200 per year
Clothing/uniforms–Training No limit
Diapers $50 per child per month
Employer reimbursement No limit
GED No limit
Haircut $40 per request
License/fees $300 per each license or fee
Lunch $15 per event
Medical exams (not covered by Medicaid) $150 per exam
Mileage $0.315 per mile

(not to exceed $100 per week)

Personal hygiene $50 per request (up to three times per calendar year)
Professional, trade, association, union and bonds $300 per each due or fee
Public transportation $150 per month
Relocation $1,000 per calendar year
Rent, housing, deposits $500 per calendar year
Short-term lodging and meals $300 per request
Testing–Certification $100 each
Testing–Diagnostic $200 each
Tools (training) No limit
Tools/equipment $300 per request
Tutoring $200 per month
Tuition and fees No limit

(5) What if I request more support services than the guidelines allow?

If you request support services from your case manager, you can:

(a) Ask to see a copy of these guidelines;

(b) Ask for an exception, if you are requesting more than the guidelines allow or asking for services or goods not mentioned in the guidelines; and/or

(c) Request a fair hearing, if your request for support services is denied.

(6) What happens to my support services if I do not participate as required?

The department will give you ten days notice, following the rules in WAC 388-418-0030, then discontinue your support services until you participate as required.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and 74.04.050.      99-14-043, § 388-310-0800, filed 6/30/99, effective 7/31/99; 97-20-129, § 388-310-0800, filed 10/1/97, effective 11/1/97.]

© Washington State Code Reviser's Office