Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 00-05-077.
Title of Rule: WAC 180-85-030 Continuing education credit hour -- Definition.
Purpose: The amendment would permit independent study to be included as continuing education credit hours (clock hours), thus permitting on-line instruction.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Summary: See Purpose above.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: See Purpose above.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Larry Davis, State Board of Education, Olympia, (360) 753-6715.
Name of Proponent: State Board of Education, governmental.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: See above.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not applicable.
RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption. Not applicable.
Hearing Location: Seattle Christian Schools, 18301 Military Road South, SeaTac, WA 98188, on June 8, 2000, at 8:00 a.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Laura Moore by May 25, 2000, TDD (360) 664-3631, or (360) 753-6715.
Submit Written Comments to: Rules Coordinator, State Board of Education, P.O. Box 47206, Olympia, WA 98504-7206, fax (360) 586-2357, by May 25, 2000.
Date of Intended Adoption: June 8, 2000.
May 1, 2000
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 97-04-086, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97)
Continuing education credit hour -- Definition.
As used in this chapter, the term "continuing education credit hour" shall mean:
(1) For each college or university semester hour credit, fifteen hours of continuing education credit hours shall be granted.
(2) For each college or university quarter hour credit, ten hours of continuing education credit hours shall be granted.
(3) For each sixty minutes of instruction in course work provided by a vocational-technical college, one continuing education credit hour shall be granted.
(4) For each sixty minutes of approved in-service education including reasonable time for breaks and passing time, one continuing education credit hour shall be granted. In the application of this subsection, the in-service education provider shall determine what is reasonable.
(5) In the application of this section, approved in-service credit hours shall not include:
(a) Routine staff meetings -- such as district, building, or area meetings within an agency, district, or building -- to discuss or explain operational policies or administrative practices within the agency, district, or building;
(b) Business meetings of professional associations to discuss operational policies or practices of the association;
(c) Social hours((
, independent study,)) or actual meal
(6) In the application of this section, for the purpose of official records of the amount of in-service credit hours, the in-service provider or the superintendent of public instruction shall round continuing education credit hours down to the nearest half hour of credits actually completed -- i.e., .50, and .00 -- and in no case shall an applicant receive credit for an in-service program that was less than a total of three continuing education credit hours.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 97-04-086, § 180-85-030, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.70.005. 89-01-043 (Order 28-88), § 180-85-030, filed 12/14/88; 88-01-086 (Order 16-87), § 180-85-030, filed 12/21/87; 86-13-018 (Order 8-86), § 180-85-030, filed 6/10/86.]