Date of Adoption: June 1, 2001.
Purpose: WAC 16-403-141, to establish a permanent general harvest release date for Golden Delicious varieties of apples; WAC 16-403-143, to establish a permanent general harvest release date for Granny Smith variety of apples; and WAC 16-403-220, to establish a crop year marking requirement on all apple cartons.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Chapter 16-403 WAC, Standards for apples marketed within the state of Washington; amending WAC 16-403-141, 16-403-143, and 16-403-220.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 15.17 RCW.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 01-08-068 on April 3, 2001.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
June 1, 2001
STANDARDS FOR APPLES MARKETED WITHIN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 15.17 RCW. 99-14-036, 16-403-141, filed 6/29/99, effective 7/30/99; 86-14-026 (Order 1892), 16-403-141, filed 6/25/86.]
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 15.17 RCW. 92-15-056, 16-403-143, filed 7/13/92, effective 8/13/92.]
(a) When the numerical count is not shown, the minimum diameter or minimum weight of individual apples shall be plainly stamped, stenciled, or otherwise marked on the container in terms of whole inches, or whole inches and not less than eight inch fractions thereof or in terms of whole grams.
(b) When used in combination with minimum diameter as a size designation, the following minimum fruit weights shall be used:
|Red Delicious||Golden Delicious|
|2 1/8 in. or 65||grams||63||grams|
|2 1/4 in. or 75||grams||70||grams|
|2 3/8 in. or 84||grams||82||grams|
|2 1/2 in. or 100||grams||95||grams|
|2 5/8 in. or 115||grams||109||grams|
|2 3/4 in. or 139||grams||134||grams|
(2) Over-wrapped consumer units may be marked with count, if all specimens can be counted.
(3) Any of these marks may be placed on either the end or side of the container. (California requires end markings.)
(4) When containers are marked as to number, each container shall contain the correct number of apples designated by the markings.
(5) Grade markings on consumer-type packages must be at least one-fourth inch in height.
(6) Apples which were produced outside of the state of Washington and which are graded, packed, or repacked in the state of Washington, shall be correctly labeled as to the state or country of origin, e.g., "Product of Oregon," "Grown in Oregon," "Produced in Canada."
Such marking shall be placed on the same end or side panel of the container as other markings related to grade, variety, net contents, and name and address of the grower, packer, or distributor, and shall be of similar print size. Consumer type packages shall not be required to bear a statement as to origin when such marking has been placed on the master shipping container.
(7) Containers shall be marked with the harvest year beginning on October 1 of each year and be applied only to apples harvested in the previous year; that this marking shall occur at the time of shipment; and be displayed on the principal display panel with letters of a minimum of one-half inch in height.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 15.17 RCW. 93-18-065 (Order 5005), 16-403-220, filed 8/30/93, effective 9/30/93; 92-15-056, 16-403-220, filed 7/13/92, effective 8/13/92; Order 1374, 16-403-220, filed 7/26/74, effective 9/1/74.]